But the NSW government’s innovative four-level, 24/7 Rail Operations Centre (ROC) now brings these systems together under one roof, encouraging centralisation of procedures and protocols and open communications between departments, improving the operation and punctuality of the rail network.
One of the greatest challenges in this project was the complex nature of display mounting requirements in this 1200-square-metre control room, home to all the critical operations teams. Smart Design Studio, on behalf of Sydney Trains, engaged Atdec to provide modular mounting solutions for ergonomic multi-screen workstations.
- With a variety of job roles within the control room, more than ten different types of display configurations were required.
- Workstations needed to incorporate up to five displays, both flat and curved, without compromising on desk space.
- Some screens were as large as 43 inches, requiring robust mounting solutions designed to withstand heavy loads.
- Mounting solutions needed to be stable and strong enough to stand up to height adjustment of the existing desks.
- The aim was to create comfortable and ergonomic individual work stations, and also maintain an open, collaborative work environment.
- Large numbers of cables needed to be well secured and concealed.
- Atdec’s AWMS modular mounts were the perfect solution for custom configurations combining multiple screens.
- Five-screen workstations required a creative approach, combining posts and monitor arms of varying heights and lengths.
- Dual and triple configurations were able to be mounted using a single post.
- Extra-heavy screens of up to 16kg/35lbs were supported with AWM-AHX arms.
- Posts were mounted using a double bolt-through kit, and arm joints were tightened to ensure perfect alignment and avoid reverberation even when desk height was adjusted.
- Displays were installed following the natural shape of the desk, maximising desk space and achieving the perfect viewing angle and focal distance for the operator.
- A black finish, along with well secured and hidden cables, made for a neat and professional look.